Monday, 3 January 2011

A book a week in 2010: Pillars of Salt by Judy Brown

Another collection of poetry from Templar Poetry, Pillars of Salt is sadly, rather disappointing.

I just couldn't get into the poems. There was the odd line that I liked, but overall I couldn't get the feel of Judy Brown's voice. It seemed inconsistent and there wasn't a flow - in subject or tone - that piqued my interest.

Brown covers a diverse range of subjects on memories, regret and family. Some of the language jarred and it lacked a coherence.

Poetry is an immersive, personal genre. Sometimes I like reading on the page, sometimes I prefer to read out loud. Neither worked this time. But I am sure others will disagree vociferously as Brown is a Poetry Society prize winner.

Not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment