Monday, 3 January 2011

A book a week in 2010: The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

The Old Man and the Sea reminded me why I've loved the Book a Week in 2010 project: it can turn into a voyage of discovery. I'd never read any Hemingway before. What a mistake. He's a wonderful writer and I intend to address this omission.

This is a beautiful book: a fable about stoicism, patience, acceptance, joy and endurance. It follows the relationship between a young boy and an old fisherman - pupil and teacher - and the capture of a very big fish.
Hemingway whisks you away to another place, where life is simple, but you feel in touch with universal truths.

The writing is stunning. I can't wait to read more. The repackaged covers that Arrow have produced are also gorgeous, so this will be a print collection I build, rather than on the Kindle.

Let me know if you have a particular Hemingway favourite that I should read next.



No comments:

Post a Comment