Wednesday, 1 December 2010

A book a week in 2010: The Queen of Subtleties by Suzannah Dunn

Following on from my recent dalliance with historical literature, here's the latest review.

Recommended by my friend after I enjoyed Philippa Gregory's Red and White Queens, The Queen of Subtleties is an altogether different proposition.

Suzannah Dunn juxtaposes two lives in the Royal household of Henry VIII: that of his confectioner, Lucy Cornwallis, and of his soon-to-be second wife, Anne Boleyn. The difference here is that Dunn deliberately uses a modern venacular with her characters.

The parallel drawn between unrequited and requited love is clever. But I couldn't help thinking that the link between the two women is tenuous and a little contrived. However, Dunn gets into her stride later in the book. I particularly liked the later life of Anne and her utter lack of self-awareness.

Different to Gregory, flashes of greatness, but a little underwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment