Saturday, 20 February 2010

Shopping and reading: what Suzy read next



It's seven weeks into my 2010 resolution: to read a book a week, every week, for the whole year.

I started with the Man Booker prize shortlist: The Children's Book by A S Byatt and Adam Fould's The Quickening Maze. Next up, business with Grown Up Digital by Don Tapscott. This was followed by Michael Palin's New Europe. A bit of light relief, with pictures.

In February I've treated myself to Purple Cow by Seth Godin, The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki and Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers.

But all this non fiction is making me a tad dull. Friends back away when I mention the genius of Tapscott. Colleagues yawn when I pontificate on Godin's idea of constant innovation.

Maybe it's time for a bit of fiction.

After some Twitter consultation (twonsultation?) here's the shopping list:

The Blue Fox by Sjon
This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson
Kieron Smith, Boy by James Kelman
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
My Father's Daughter by Hannah Pool
Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunnant
Saving Caravaggio by Neil Griffiths

Thanks go to @caroleagent, @meandmybigmouth and @simonjuden for general inspiration and direct recommendations on Twitter.

What else should go on the shopping list?


1 comment:

  1. Two more titles to add:

    The Other Hand by Chris Cleaver (thanks @JessShankleman)

    One Day by David Nicholls (cheers @BrettSR)

    ReplyDelete